Memory verse: Ezekiel 22: 30
The word of God teaches us to pray without ceasing. 1Thess.5:17. It also teaches us that we should love other people. This means that we should not only pray for ourselves but also pray for other people. Such prayers that are offered on behalf of others not just for ourselves are known as INTERCESSION. 1Tim.2:1-4. 1Sam.7:8. Unlike preaching of the word or other open ministries in the Church, this kind of ministry is hidden. That is, the one in this ministry may not enjoy the recognition and applause of men. Nevertheless, an intercessor always enjoys not only the applause of God but also His attention.
Intercession is the action of intervening before God on behalf of another, or the action of saying a prayer on behalf of another person.
WHO IS AN INTERCESSOR?
An intercessor is somebody who stands in gap before God on behalf of someone, people, or a nation. They are also referred to as watchmen. Isa. 62: 6,7.
We need to understand that as we just mentioned above, God has not called all believers into open ministries like the preaching, teaching, etc. However, God has called all Christians into this hidden ministry of intercession. Although, an intercessor prays for other people rather than himself or herself they do not lose anything; God takes care of their own needs. The following are examples of the characteristics of an intercessor.
- He appears before God on behalf of other people. Exo.32: 30-32.
- An intercessor identified himself with the will and purpose of God. Dan.9:2-3. Rom.10:1
- An intercessor feels the heartbeat of God that is; he sees things from a divine viewpoint. 1Cor.2:16
- He knows the value of souls, loves them and therefore prays for them. 2Pet.3: 9.
- An intercessor is also one who finds favour with God. For God responds to those who draw close to Him in intercession. Neh.1:1-4,11.
- An intercessor moves the heart of God to move the heart of others. Prov.21:1. Neh.2:1-8. The Holy Spirit moves to bring conviction to sinners when we intercede. Our intercession can also give boldness to preachers to minister to those whose hearts are hardened to respond and to receive the word of God. Eph.6:18-20.
CENTRAL TRUTH: As a child of God it is a sin not to pray for God’s people. 1Sam.12:23.